What's happening in my Model A Engine shop?
Blog

Insert bearing Model A engines I have completed,
Where are they?
Minnesota:  159 Inserted bearing Model A & B engines
North Dakota: 2 Inserted engines
Iowa:  10  Model A & B Engines
Wisconsin:  13
Michigan: 1 Inserted Touring
Colorado: 1 inserted Engine
California: 6 Inserted Engines
Louisiana:  1 inserted Engine
Texas: 1 inserted Engine

Currently working on:  4 customer engines and 1 for myself
7.11.19
Catherine's 1930 Coupe was taken home this past Sunday.  After a 2 year and 8 month restoration, it is ready to be driven and enjoyed.  The car belonged to Catherine's father and he never got around to starting the restoration before he passed.  Catherine was determined to restore the car and did much of the work herself with the help of many members of the Twin Cities Model A Ford Club.

The result of all the hard work is stunning!
6/15/20
I assembled a motor that a customer brought in for a condition check.  This engine came with the '29 Phaeton he recently purchased as a "spare".  He had taken the engine out of the car that it came with and I rebuilt it for him a few weeks ago. He thought he had a buyer for the engine but it fell through.  A friend of mine was looking for an economical replacement for a recently purchased '30 pickup.  I connected the two and they struck a deal.  We spent the better part of the day assembling it into a long block and then ran it on the test stand.

6/22/20
A Model B engine was brought in on the 13th for a condition check.  I am about 70% through checking it over after spending a few hours this past Saturday and Sunday.
A Model A engine was brought in on the 20th with a knock.  The noise had been increasing over the past 3 years of running.  The engine had excessive clearance at the rear main bearing and with the running, the rear Babbitt was fractured and the rear thrust on the cap separated.

Under development:
I am having a set of custom tappets made that will have hydraulic lifters in them.  I have the end use for them in an overhead valve conversion.  We have identified the required components and processes needed to complete them.

6/28/20
I helped a good friend who was having a problem with coolant loss and overheating.  We speculated he had a failed head gasket.  We removed the head and cleaned up the surfaces then placed a machinists straight edge on the head and found there was over .005" collapse of the center area of the head.  We shot-blasted, planed it straight, painted and installed it with a Best brand composite gasket.  While doing so, a temperature gauge was installed with the probe installed in the water outlet (gooseneck). It took us most of the day as we spent a leisurely 2 hour lunch break talking.  It was a good project to help a friend with.  I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

7/5/20
This weekend, I worked on a "BB" engine and transmission.  The owner wanted the engine and transmission checked over, cleaned and painted before it goes back into a truck his dad owns and hes is in line to own.  The engine bearing clearances are all within spec after adjusting the number of shims.  The parts are cleaned,de-greased and painted.  Assembly will start soon.

 

After three years of on and off work the clam shell teardrop and '31 are ready to go.  As soon as this virus is contained, we are off!